The body makes uric acid by breaking down organic compounds called purine. These are either made by the body itself or we ingest them when we consume certain kinds of fish, liver, beef, and peas. Ideally, uric acid will enter the kidney and your body will get rid of it through your urine. But if you are producing an excess amount or your body can’t pass it out, uric acid can be harmful.
When uric acid doesn’t dissolve in the blood, it tends to accumulate in your joint. This is why people contract gout which is a type of arthritis. The acid crystallizes in the joints and the crystals can cause a lot of pain, swelling, and inflammation. It begins with asymptomatic hyperuricemia. There are no signs of gout at this time but it is the period in which the crystals are being formed.
The next stage is acute gout or an attack of gout. If you consume too much food or alcohol containing uric acid, you’ll experience intense pain over the next half a day. Usually it sorts itself out in a while, but there’s a high chance of gout recurring. In the time in between the attacks, there’ll always be some amount of inflammation wrecking havoc on your joints. In the worst case scenario, people develop chronic gout but this can be prevented if it is treated properly in the early stages.