The job of the liver has definitely changed over the generations. Of course, its job has always been to filter out toxins and remove them from the body as quickly as possible. However, this is a much bigger task now than it was even just 100 years ago.
When you think about how many toxins our bodies are exposed to on a daily basis, you’ll see that the liver has to work in overdrive to keep up. From fried foods and food treated with pesticides to toxins in the air you breathe, almost everything has to be filtered through your liver. Over time, this can lead to liver damage.
Causes and Symptoms of Liver Damage
Certain symptoms may make you wonder if you are suffering from liver damage. If you have any of the following symptoms, you may be dealing with an off-kilter liver:
- Stool or urine consistently abnormal (color, size, timing)
- Skin has yellowed over time and does not seem to improve with changes in diet or habits
- Development of mononucleosis
- Whites of eyes are yellow or bloodshot
- Stomach upset or digestive issues